Friday 7 February 2014

Evaluation 2 - Essay Form


How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

While creating my music video, magazine advert and Digipak I ensured to make a recognisable ‘rock style’ so that the theme of the album will be easily identified by its target audience, in result; working together to promote the album. The extended metaphor that runs through all my three products is the feeling of nostalgia. However, also how carefree actions reflect on other people’s lives – which is reinforced within the lyrics of my song choice.

My music video has the purpose to entertain its audience and also, to create a character that fans of  Kodaline can personally identify with, therefore feel sympathy for when observing the ending of my music video. As well as this, it was also used to amplify the lyrics and message behind the song “All I Want” by using a modern and interesting narrative to reflect how losing someone can be very difficult. The way the video is filmed; using slow motion and gentle slow cuts at the start helps to represent my theme of innocence for the female, creating a feeling of nostalgia amongst older viewers – encouraging them to remember a more carefree time. The artist I chose will naturally help sales and stimulate word-of-mouth, as she is of a very young age with such great talent.

 The purpose of the magazine advert is literally to promote the album and contribute to the image and style of the artist I wish to create. I feel my magazine advert successfully represents this as I chose to design it in a very simple way and by just taking a picture of rain drops on the window– which will appeal to the target audience of my artist as they will appreciate products representing pathatic fallacy that reflects nature. In terms of the image of the raindrops; it signifies the emotion in which my music video is set in, which is reiterated within the mise en scene of the window raindrops. It’s also a visual representation of everything my artist stands for – music. This will instantly assist sales of the album, as my target audience will appreciate artists with a passion and consideration for music. The mention of it being sold on Digipak will appeal to more enthusiastic fans of Kodaline, as they will be able to buy a high quality product; which might be used and kept as a collector’s item – making them feel as though they are getting something special and worthy of their money.

The digipak I created also maintains to portray the rock style with the same photograph being used. The darkened edges around the  picture make the customer feel as though they are peaking through something, generating the feeling of exclusiveness; as if they are seeing something not many people are privileged to see. The title of my digipak “In a perfect world” reinforces my theme of trying to be in a perfect world again after losing their lover. I downloaded a font called Subsumed, as I felt it was bold enough to grab a customer’s attention, without ruining the elegance and pictures unique manner of the product. I tried to create an air of mystery about the band, by taking a picture of the raindrops as I felt this would make the audience feel more empathy and engage more with their feelings towards the band. This will attract the younger target audience I am aiming for, as well as reflecting on the older generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment